Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Road Trip - The Drive

A few miles down the highway from Texarkana, Arkansas

The driving went so well yesterday that I decided to drive straight on through rather than to break the drive into two days. I ended up driving 933 miles, arriving in Owensboro just over 15 hours after I left my driveway. I've made this drive four times now and, for whatever reason, drivers seemed more laid back and willing to drive the speed limit than ever before. In the past, I've seen a few crazy ones on the road who seem determined to lead each little pack of vehicles they encounter - regardless of the fact that there's always a new pack just ahead of them. That didn't happen this time.

I also noticed there were far fewer truckers on the road yesterday than in previous years. I-40 is usually packed with them; this year they didn't seem to be nearly so numerous and that helped to keep things moving at the speed limit - and just beyond it. Maybe the economy really is having an impact on truckers.

It's still early in the morning but the music starts at 11:00 when a bunch of regional bands begin the festivities across the street from the Museum at Woodward's Cafe. Six bands are scheduled to perform up to about 5:00 and then there's a two-hour break before the big show with Mike Snider, Marty Stuart, and the Del McCoury Band.

Everything is indoor's until Friday when the two days at Yellow Creek Park start - and it is Hot, with a capital "H." And Humid deserves a capital of its own. Reminds me of home.

I didn't get much reading done - just 26 pages all day long, and that was before I left home. I'm well into Lawrence Block's memoir about his walking expereriences and I'm enjoying the book more and more. It started off a bit to slowly and, for just a couple of seconds, I was tempted to toss it aside. I'm happy that I didn't.

I plan to have lots of pictures, and some video, about the festival. Most of it will probably not be on Book Chase, however. If you're interested in that kind of thing, take a look at Bluegrass & Honky Tonks, my second internet home. Hope to see some of you there - now it's off to get this day started for real...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.