Saturday, August 08, 2009

Keep It Local, Chum

This is a clever little piece to encourage book buyers to support their local independent bookstores over the corporate giants like Barnes & Noble, Borders and Books-A-Million. It is written in a 1950s style of propaganda that gives it a light feel, but the message is a serious one.



Isn't it amazing that this style was once used as a serious delivery system for propaganda? Have we really gotten that smarter or were we just seriously naive in the first half of the 20th century?

2 comments:

  1. My neighborhood bookstore, Skylight Books in Los Angeles, is the BEST. The staff are super friendly, they host awesome in-store events (reading/book signing with T.C. Boyle!) and they've got an cat who cruises up and down the aisles. Regarding propaganda, I'd like to think that we've gotten smarter. But, if this is the case, it means that advertisers have also become smarter/more creative in their craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a good message, but that advertising clip just made me laugh. Of course, that's probably what they want- I won't forget it soon! Sadly, there's no indie bookstores "just around the corner" from me- I have to drive forty minutes to the nearest one (and I love it).

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.