Tuesday, November 23, 2010

One Boy, 10,000 Books

As I continue my six-month fight of good vs. evil (have no doubt, I represent good in this battle) I am always on the lookout for "feel-good" stories to cheer myself up a bit.  And tonight, I think I found another one in the Charleston Post and Courier:

Sixth-grader Alec Robinovitz sat in a hospital clinic waiting room with his sick younger sister and his mother several years ago.
 There was nothing to do while they waited, he said, and the children in the room looked scared.


 The incident inspired him to help other sick children by collecting some gently used children's books from family members and friends and donating them to the pediatric clinics at the Medical University of South Carolina.     [...]


The siblings, who attend East Cooper Montessori Charter School, delivered this year's collection of books Monday, boosting the total books they've donated over the past four years to more than 10,000.


"People just started giving us books," said Alec, who's now 11 years old.

I know it's a corny thing to say, but it's true: anyone can make a difference. (Unfortunately, my evil opponent knows it works both ways.)

3 comments:

  1. Not corny at all, in my opinion. This is wonderfully heart-warming story and one that is much needed given all of the bad news that we usually hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathleen. I'm a real sucker for this kind of story.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.