Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Water for Elephants: The Movie

I reviewed Water for Elephants back on December 15, 2008, giving it a 4.5 rating.  That missing half point was deducted because I found the ending of the book to be a bit farfetched despite the fact that it is exactly the kind of ending I would have wished for the book's main character after getting to know him so well.  I thoroughly enjoyed (as I was at the same time horrified by much of it) the story, even ranking it number three on my Top Ten Fiction Books for 2008.

Now here in 2011 the book is generating even more buzz than it did when it was first released.  That is, of course, because 20th Century Fox is about to release its version to movie theaters across the world.  The book has even been re-published with one of those movie tie-in-covers I hate so much.  My first impression, based entirely on this one movie trailer, is that the movie will not quite do justice to my imagination - but isn't that almost always the way when a book comes to film?

I'm sure I will see the movie eventually, but probably in the comfort of my own home.  What do you think?  Is the trailer enough to get you excited about this one (it certainly appears to be beautifully filmed)?

4 comments:

  1. I also intend to watch this one, like you, from the comfort of my couch, and free from the library. :) I really enjoyed the story despite some of the more undesirable parts. It is a perfect story for movie form but I never have high hopes for movie adaptations of books. We'll see what it's like.

    One flaw for me already; Reese Witherspoon doesn't fit the picture of Marlena I have in my mind's eye at all! Otherwise the trailer looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the book a great deal, but think I'll wait a while on the movie. Even though I read it when it was first released, I don't think enough time has passed for me to fully appreciate the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a problem with Reese Witherspoon in that role, Andy...but I don't ever have a problem with her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that approach to watching a movie based on a favorite book, Jenclair. I suspect that would help my perception and appreciation of the movie...just a question of how long to wait.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.