Friday, July 29, 2011

Banned in Missouri

Are you kidding me?

Here we go again.  This time it's the combination of a misguided jackass and a politically correct bunch of wimps on a school board that decides to ban Slaughterhouse-Five from a Missouri high school library.  How does this kind of thing keep happening in the 21st century?

CBS has the details, but it boils down to this:
Two books have been banned from the libraries and curriculum at Republic High School after a parent complained that their content taught principles contrary to the Bible.
[...]
[Minor] said "Slaughterhouse Five" contained crude language and adult themes that are more appropriate for college-age students.
Do the folks on this school board even have a clue as to what high school students see, read, and do every day of the week? ...and they are worried that Slaughterhouse-Five might not be age approrpriate?  Give me a break.

By the way, two other books were on the jackass's hit list: Twenty Boy Summer (Sarah Ockler) and Speak (Laurie Halse Anderson).  The only survivor was the Anderson book.  Way to go Missouri, you really showed me something.

So it goes.


6 comments:

  1. I'm a little embarrassed that it's my home state. I'm still smarting about the banning attempt of Alison Bechdel's FUN HOME in my birthplace of Marshall, MO. I'm sorry, Alison; the good guys won, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't speak to Twenty Boy Summer but Slaughterhouse Five is far superior to Speak, though Speak is quite good. So I'm guessing quality literature was not a criteria.

    As I recall, both contain ideas that are contrary to several principles in the Bible. I have to wonder about the states history curriculum. Here in California, we're required to teach the main principles and history of Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam along with Christianity as part of the history curriculum. We're also required to be present each in a truthful, respectful way.

    I guess that wouldn't fly is some parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely staggering, Nik...it will never stop in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It happens in all 50 states, Susan. It almost happened about three miles from my house a few weeks ago but failed at the last minute. You just have to shake your head, though, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting curriculum, James...and I think it is actually becoming more and more common across the country - but it's two steps forward, one step back.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.